Let’s just get right into it. I’ll explain some things after the list. Here we go:
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- The Martian
- Ex Machina
- Ant Man
- Inside Out
- Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
- Furious 7
- Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation
There are a few movies that are notably absent. Specifically Jurassic World, Max Max: Fury Road, and Avengers: Age of Ultron.
- I really did not enjoy Jurassic World. I found it to be over the top. It had a lot of bad acting and terrible plot holes. I see it as an unnecessary money grab that didn’t capture the original wonder of the first movie in the series. Also, I have a grudge against it for how much money it earned, which I think it didn’t deserve at all.
- Mad Max: Fury Road was a really good movie. I just didn’t like it more than any one of the movies on my top 10 list. It probably would have been #11 or #12, had I made the list longer. The reason it’s so low? It’s a basic story where not a lot goes on. It didn’t really make me feel anything. It was more of a cinematic viewing experience than a well rounded film. Movies like Furious 7 and Mission: Impossible I enjoyed for their entertainment value more than Mad Max.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron was incredibly forgettable. It was enjoyable up until the credits started to roll, at which point I had lost all interest in thinking or talking about it. I had no desire to rewatch it. Nothing of meaning happens, other than some character development and set ups for Civil War.
There are several movies I still haven’t seen which could potentially break into the top 10. They are:
- Black Mass
- Bridge of Spies
- The Good Dinosaur
- Steve Jobs
- The Revenant
- The Hateful Eight
I’m not the biggest fan of Tarantino’s films. Frankly, the only movie out of these that has a decent opportunity of breaking into the Top 10 is The Revenant. Everything I’ve heard about the others doesn’t bode well for their chances.
In closing, if you haven’t yet seen The Martian, Ex Machina, or Sicario, SEE THEM NOW. I’ll just assume you’ve already seen Star Wars.